- Develop vital skills in designing, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and securing wired and wireless networks
- Choose an advanced course aligned to the crucial aspects of the industry-recognised CISCO Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Routing and Switching
- Build your practical skills in our dedicated Network Development Suite featuring the latest equipment
- Learn from experienced computer network specialists and former industry professionals
- Tailor your studies to match your professional interests and career ambitions with an in-depth independent project on a theme of your choice
- Prepare for a successful career in roles such as network engineer, network developer or network consultant
- Gain a firm foundation for conducting high-level research leading to a PhD qualification
The Internet has become an indispensable part of many people's daily lives. With computer networks forming the underlying infrastructure of the Internet, there is a growing demand for professionals who can keep our online experiences efficient, effective and safe.
Connecting with our digital future
More and more people use the Internet for social networking, shopping, banking and many other online activities. As the full potential of the Internet of Things/Internet of Everything (IOT/IOE) is realised, we are beginning to see the shape of our digital life in the near future.
This degree captures latest advances in the digital age. It provides a structured environment in which you can develop your critical understanding of modern theories along with practical expertise in networking technologies and applications in a wide range of contexts. It offers the ideal preparation for employment in the network industry.
The MSc Advanced Computer Networks has been developed in consultation with leading employers and industry to ensure the content is relevant and up to date.
It follows the syllabus of the CISCO CCNP for those who have already obtained the CCNA. If you are not already qualified to CCNA level, we give you the opportunity to study the CCNA syllabus if required.
A comprehensive portfolio of skills
We explore all the latest developments and issues in distributed networks, as well as network management and maintenance and the methodologies and approaches used to plan, configure and verify the implementation of complex enterprise LAN and WAN routing and switching solutions.
You will build a critical and in-depth awareness of the theory, methods and issues involved in the design, development and deployment of modern wireless networks. The course will focus on secure networking systems and examine advanced concepts in ethical systems penetration, attack signature detection and mainstream host-based and network-based protection methods.
With information governance and law becoming of increasing importance, we also give you the chance to critically evaluate issues of good governance in the context of the design, deployment, operation and management of information and information systems.
Pursue your personal interests
The whole MSc programme is brought together by an in-depth project exploring a theme of your choice. As part of the Independent Scholarship module you can concentrate on an area where you see your career developing, usually by solving a commercial IT problem in association with industrial collaborators.
If you are studying part time while working, you can potentially focus on a subject which is directly relevant to your current role and the needs of your employer.