This innovative programme combines a multidisciplinary approach of nanotechnology and medical science that promises to bring significant advances in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
- The opportunity to study specialised modules including Bionanotechnology, Bioinformatics, Diagnostics, Molecular Medicine, Regenerative Medicine, Nanomedicine, and Nanotoxicology , taught by leading researchers in the field
- Develop research skills by working with an interdisciplinary research team
- Use state-of-the art laboratory equipment in the Centre for NanoHealth
- Engage with clinicians through established links with local hospitals and Health Board
Carry out collaborative research with Industry, including hi-tech medical device companies based in the Medical School's Institute of Life Science.
Recent years have witnessed an unprecedented growth in research in the area of nanoscience. There is increasing optimism that nanotechnology applied to medicine will bring significant advances in the diagnosis treatment and prevention of disease. Increasing demand and awareness of applications of nanotechnology in medicine has resulted in the emergence of a new discipline, namely nanomedicine.
This 12-month course (starts in October) is suitable for graduates with experience in disciplines of biology, life sciences or engineering who wish to develop their understanding of the application of Nanotechnology in healthcare and to undergo training in experimental design and experimental practice in a novel research topic.
The programme is modular and structured in three levels, each building on the next. You can elect to take either the full Master's programme or the Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma, depending on need and circumstances.
The programme is designed to allow you to complete either as full time or part time study. For part-time students, each of the three components are scheduled to take a year each to complete.
The programme will give you generic evidence based practice training with additional modules exploring:
- Introduction to Bioinformatics (20)
- Nano(Geno)toxicology (20)
- Regenerative Medicine (20)
- Diagnostics and Imaging (10)
- Physiology and Disease (10)
- Nanomedicines and Therapeutics (10)
- Research Design and Ethics (10)
- Principles of Nanomedicine (10)
- Bio-Nanotechnology (10)
- Dissertation (Research Project) (60)