The BA Ancient and Medieval History is designed to examine civilisations that may appear distant, but remain influential in our own time. Students can discover the continuities and change from the emergence of Athenian democracy to the glories of renaissance Italy; from the expansion of the Roman Empire to the Christian crusades of the Middle Ages; and from the great epics of Homer to the sublime poetry of Dante.
- In the second year, students can take module a study trip or field project focusing on a specific region or place.
- Ancient History students can gain teaching experience by leading workshops for the South West Wales Reaching Wider Partnership.
- Students have the option of a semester abroad in Hong Kong or the USA.
- Our students have an academic mentor who provides pastoral support and guidance on issues that may affect their well-being, attendance and progress through University.
- Students are actively involved in voluntary archaeological digs nationally and internationally.
- The Society of Ancient Studies and History student society organises social and cultural events. Follow us on Twitter: @SUHistSoc.
- Have a look at our blog to find out what's happening at Swansea.
- Medieval History can be seen all around Swansea and South Wales.
The degree programme offers a coherent, integrated and interdisciplinary examination of past cultures, covering over two millennia of history across the European continent and the Mediterranean world.