As a student of English Literature and Spanish at Swansea, you will not only analyse a range of literary texts from various contexts and historical periods, but you will also explore the complex relationships between literature, politics and history and develop modern language skills.
The Department of English Language and Literature is ranked 7th in the UK within the recent Research Excellence Framework exercise (REF 2014), gaining a score of 100% for the social impact of its research activities.
- The BA English Literature covers themes from the early-Medieval period to the present day, while also developing your knowledge of critical theory and the diversity of approaches to literature.
- Optional modules are available in Creative Writing.
- Specialist researchers and teachers in Gender and Culture offer modules.
- Our modules include Latin American literature and culture, contemporary Spanish politics, Twentieth and Twenty-First century Spanish and Catalan literature.
- A strong Welsh-medium provision is also available.
- During the third year of study, students spend a year abroad in Spain or Gran Canaria.
- Students can study at a University, teach in a school or work in a business during the year abroad.
- Our students have an academic mentor who provides pastoral support and guidance on issues that may affect their well-being, attendance and progress through University.
Students study six modules, three in English Literature and three in Spanish.