Our BSc Economics programme will equip you with the analytical tools, knowledge and techniques to gain a solid understanding of modern economic principles. This degree has real-world relevance and our highly experienced academic team will develop your quantitative problem solving skills when dealing with a wide range of social and political issues. As you progress to the final stages of undergraduate studies, you will have the opportunity to advance your specialist knowledge with a view to becoming a skilled economist, proceeding to postgraduate studies, or pursuing a career in a broad range of economic and financial areas of industry. Our flexible programmes include a significant choice of optional modules in years 2 and 3, providing opportunities to pursue specialist topics in Economics or gain further experience in related Business, Accounting and Finance disciplines.
- Economics department ranked 10th in the UK for Career Prospects (Guardian University Guide 2018), UK Top 25 for Research Quality (Complete University Guide 2018).
- All programmes are taught by our world-class faculty who have a breadth of industrial and academic knowledge
- Swansea is 1st in Wales for world-leading impact - 60% at 4-star level (REF 2014)
- 93% of Swansea students in employment six months after graduating
- High contact time - our modules come with a lecture (in class sizes capped at approximately 150 students) and seminar/tutorial (in class sizes capped at 30) every single week
- Occupying world-class beachside facilities on the £450million Bay Campus
- Scholarships available for outstanding students - click here for more details
- Swansea is 3rd in the UK for international-ranked research outputs (REF 2014)
All of our undergraduate programmes combine a range of compulsory modules that you must study in your first year with us before giving you significant freedom to pick optional modules in later years to allow you to focus in on your own interests and specialisation.
Swansea University offers a range of scholarships to help fund your studies, including:
Excellence Scholarship - awarded to students achieving AAA or above at A-Level (or equivalent) - £3000 over 2 years.
Merit Scholarship - awarded to students achieving AAB at A-Level (or equivalent - £2000 over 2 years.
For more information on scholarships and other funding opportunities available at Swansea, please visit the University's scholarships and bursaries page.
The School of Management also offers the Developing Futures Scholarship package, which encourages students to develop a number of professional skills whilst working with the School throughout the academic year.
Undergraduate scholarship of £2000 towards tuition fees.
Available to non-EU (International) students holding an offer to study at the School of Management.
Postgraduate scholarship of £3000 towards tuition fees.
Available to all UK/EU and International students holding an offer to study at the School of Management.
More information on Developing Futures Scholarships, including how to apply, can be found here.
Study abroad opportunities
Study abroad opportunities are managed in conjunction with Swansea University's Go Global Team. You can find out more about your study abroad opportunities here.
The School of Management offers a variety of placement schemes (year in industry) which are coordinated by our in-house Employability Team. Click here to access detailed guidance on the placement process, including recent student success stories.
Careers and employability prospects
We have an excellent track record of placing our graduates with major multinational companies and our graduate employment rate is 92%.
From the moment you arrive at the School of Management we will work with you to help you build your skills and experience to enhance your career prospects. During your time with us you'll have the chance to:
- Undertake a work placement or internship through the Swansea Paid Internship Network (SPIN) or 'Week of Work' initiative
- Work and network with employers from a range of national and multi-national companies through our visiting speaker programme
- In conjunction with the International Development Office, undertake an Internship in India with a company such as GE, Thomson Reuters, 3M, Private Equity or Kanvic Consulting
- Boost your skills and meet employers during our biannual Employability Week
- Complete the Swansea Employability Award
- Participate in one of our student challenges and competitions, such as the Branding Challenge, and CIM student competition 'The Pitch'
Discover how our in-house Careers Service has supported our students: