The American Studies and History programme aims to cover all aspects of American civilization, examining American history, literature, politics, society and popular culture, and the also European history and the history of the British Isles, Asia and the Americas.
- American Studies is an interdisciplinary degree programme which includes the study of American Literature, History and Politics.
- History includes the study of Medieval, Early Modern and Modern History and covers political, social, cultural and military aspects of history.
- Students can take a study trip or field project module.
- The American Studies and History student societies organise social and cultural events. Follow us on Twitter: @SUHistSoc.
- Have a look at our blog to find out what's happening in History.
- Students spend the third year studying abroad in the USA.
- Our students have an academic mentor who provides pastoral support and guidance on issues that may affect their well-being, attendance and progress through University.
- American Studies is ranked 7th in the UK in the Guardian University Guide 2018. Read more here.
American Studies and History is a well-established programme. Students study six modules a year, 3 in American Studies and 3 in History.