As a student of English Literature and Politics at Swansea, you will not only analyse a range of literary texts from various contexts and historical periods, but you will also explore the complex relationships between literature, politics and history.
The Department of English Language and Literature is ranked 7th in the UK within the recent Research Excellence Framework exercise (REF 2014), gaining a score of 100% for the social impact of its research activities.
- The BA English Literature covers themes from the early-Medieval period to the present day, while also developing your knowledge of critical theory and the diversity of approaches to literature.
- Optional modules are available in Creative Writing.
- Specialist researchers and teachers in Gender and Culture offer modules.
- Students can study a 'Parliamentary Studies" module which includes sessions with members of parliament and the House of Lords, visits to the Palace of Westminster. Staff from the Houses of Parliament will deliver some classes and will be available to act as informal project advisors to students who take the follow on Dissertation in parliamentary studies module.
- In the second year students have the option of a semester abroad in Hong Kong or the USA.
- Our students have an academic mentor who provides pastoral support and guidance on issues that may affect their well-being, attendance and progress through University.
Students study six modules, three in English Literature and three in Politics.