The BA English Literature and History degree offers the study of literary texts from various contexts and historical periods, but you will also explore the complex relationships between literature, politics and history.
The Department of English Language and Literature is ranked 7th in the UK within the recent Research Excellence Framework exercise (REF 2014), gaining a score of 100% for the social impact of its research activities.
- The BA English Literature covers themes from the early-Medieval period to the present day, while also developing your knowledge of critical theory and the diversity of approaches to literature.
- Optional modules are available in Creative Writing.
- Specialist researchers and teachers in Gender and Culture offer modules.
- This course offers the study of Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern and Modern History and covers political, social, cultural and military aspects of history and not only British and European history but also the history of Asia and the Americas.
- In the third year students spend a year abroad in Europe or the USA.
- Our students have an academic mentor who provides pastoral support and guidance on issues that may affect their well-being, attendance and progress through University.
Students study six modules, three in English Literature and three in History.