American Studies and English Literature is one of the most diverse, stimulating and challenging disciplines offered at university. Both subjects have had a profound influence on social, political and cultural movements in the past and the present.
- American Studies is an interdisciplinary degree programme which includes the study of American Literature, History and Politics.
- English Literature covers themes from the early-Medieval period to the present day.
- Optional modules are available in Creative Writing.
- Specialist researchers and teachers of Gender offer modules.
- Students have the option of a semester abroad in the USA in the second year of study.
- Our students have an academic mentor who provides pastoral support and guidance on issues that may affect their well-being, attendance and progress through University.
- The American Studies and English Societies organise literary, social and cultural events. Follow them on Twitter or follow the Siren, English student blog.
- American Studies is ranked 7th in the UK in the Guardian University Guide 2018. Read more here.
American Studies and English Literature is a well-established programme. Students study six modules a year, 3 in American Studies and 3 in English Literature.