The BSc Software Engineering degree concentrates more on the skills needed for a career in the software industry by focusing on the process of building software to a specification.
Year 1 of Software Engineering is the same as the BSc Computer Science degree. This is mainly because students studying both Software Engineering and Computer Science need to know the same fundamental things.
Year 2 concentrates more on team working than Computer Science. It also brings in real-world concepts like completing work started by other teams, and also working collaboratively with other teams - all of which are things that are common practice in industry.
In year 3 students undertake a 40 credit project, two compulsory modules on Software Testing and Design Patterns and Generic Programming, and 60 credits of options. The project you undertake must be practical, and you must build a software system.
- We are top in the UK for career prospects [Guardian University Guide 2018]
- 5th in the UK overall [Guardian University Guide 2018]
- Top 5 in the UK for student satisfaction with 94%. Top in Wales [National Student Survey 2017]
- We are in the UK Top 10 for teaching quality [Times & Sunday Times University Guide 2017]
- 12th in the UK overall and Top in Wales [Times & Sunday Times University Guide 2017]
- 92% in graduate employment or further study six months after leaving University [HESA data 2014/15]
- UK TOP 20 for Research Excellence [Research Excellence Framework 2014]
- Our Project Fair allows students to present their work to local industry
- Strong links with industry
- £31m Computational Foundry for computer and mathematical sciences will provide the most up-to-date and high quality teaching facilities featuring world-leading experimental set-ups, devices and prototypes to accelerate innovation and ensure students will be ready for exciting and successful careers. (From September 2018)
- Top University in Wales [Times & Sunday Times University Guide 2017]
Our friendly staff are committed to a student experience and education of a very high standard and our department has over 40 years of commitment to the best international standards of university education.
We have excellent employment prospects in an ever growing and changing computing and ICT industry. Our excellent transferable skills open doors to careers in all sectors of the economy. Our university has a high success rate for graduation, low drop out rate, and excellent student support.
The importance of gaining valuable core skills and life experience whilst at University has never been so critical. As computer scientists in training you will be taught a full range of core skills and practises by leading experts that will enable you to successfully pursue a career within computing.
Every year we survey our recent graduates to ascertain their employment status. The data is more commonly known as the Graduate Destinations survey and is reported to HESA (the Higher Education Statistics Authority).
HESA data collected in January 2013 about our 2012 graduates showed that 100% of Swansea's Computer Science graduates were in full-time employment or further study within six months of graduation. Computer Science at Swansea is 7th in the UK for "Graduate Prospects", the 2014 Times Good University Guide.
Some example job titles from the surveys are:
- Flex Programmer: CBSMSoftware
- Engineer: General Dynamics UK
- Computer analyst: Hewlett Packard
- Senior Software Developer: Information Processing Ltd.
- Systems Developer: Itchen College
- IT Engineer: LRN Security
- IT Engineer: New Directions
- Software developer: Persuasive Image
- Web Developer: Time Etc Ltd.
- Developer: Tinopolis
- Software Developer: VSI Thinking
- Systems analyst: Wall Colmonoy
- Database Administrator: We Predict Ltd
- Software Engineer: Motorola Solutions
- Change Coordinator: Logica
- Software Developer/Engineer: NS Technology
- Workflow Developer: Irwin Mitchell
- IT Developer: Crimsan Consultants
- Consultant: Crimsan Consultants
- Programmer: Evil Twin Artworks
- Software Developer: BMJ Group
- Graduate software engineer BT
Find out more about employability