This interdisciplinary programme examines the representation of gender in culture and society. Students consider how portrayals of gender reflect, challenge or perpetuate cultural values and ideologies.
The Department of English Language and Literature is ranked 7th in the UK within the recent Research Excellence Framework exercise (REF 2014), gaining a score of 100% for the social impact of its research activities.
- The BA English Literature and Gender covers themes from the early-Medieval period to the present day, while also developing your knowledge of critical theory and the diversity of approaches to literature.
- Specialist researchers and teachers in Gender and Culture offer modules.
- Students spend the third year studying at a University in Australia, Europe or the USA.
- Our students have an academic mentor who provides pastoral support and guidance on issues that may affect their well-being, attendance and progress through University.
- Our staff are active researchers known across the globe and we teach an exciting range of topics that cover every branch of the subject across many regions of the world.
- The English Society at Swansea organises literary, social and cultural events. Follow them on Twitter or follow the Siren, English student blog.
- The Centre for Research into Gender in Culture and Society (GENCAS) brings together staff from across the campus who research into gender.
Students study compulsory and optional modules in English Literature and specialist modules in Gender.