- Flagship recording / mixing studio with SSL AWS 900, 3 analogue recording studios with live rooms, 3 Pro-Tools recording studios with live rooms, 35-seat Mac lab, large PC lab, 2 mastering studios and 2 project rooms
- Avid accredited status, enabling students to undertake further industry-recognised qualifications
- Experienced teaching staff who are actively involved in the music industry or academic research
- Undertake practical Live Sound applications by engineering live concerts at the University and external venues
- Postgraduate loans now available
The course gives students the opportunity to develop their existing creative music production skills using our experienced staff and world-class facilities as resources. Students who complete the award will be equipped with the skillsets necessary to compete for work related to music and sound production in the highly competitive environments of the creative industries.
Music production today not only involves being able to record, mix, and edit music in a variety of different genres and situations; it also involves an understanding of composition and arranging, an ability to work in different software environments with a high level of competence, an understanding of performance practices in different contexts, and an understanding of the relationships between music, sound and other media.
There are opportunities to develop all of these skills on the award, always with an emphasis on creativity and a focus on rigorous academic underpinning. Successful students will thus be afforded the opportunity to progress to further postgraduate research should they wish to do so.
- Modern Composition in Context
- Audio Visual Composition
- Negotiated Study: Music
- Option module (Options include Advanced Recording Techniques, Mixing Techniques, Acoustics, Mastering and Signal Processing)
- Research Methods for Music
- Performance Practices
- Creative Music Software Design
- Option module (Options include Pro Tools for Music Production, Mastering Techniques, Electronics for Musicians)
- MA Project
Just some of the routes taken by our students after graduating:
- Software engineering (SSL)
- Environmental acoustics (RPS Group Acoustic Consultants, Hann Tucker Associates)
- Live sound
- Film sound