The Postgraduate Certificate in Higher and Professional Education (PgCHPE) course is aimed at those who are new to teaching in higher and professional education and those with experience who would like to reflect on and enhance their practice. Through the course, we aim to enhance student learning by reflecting on the needs of individual learners, and the range of strategies we might use to meet those needs. The PgCHPE programme is wholly aligned to the UK Professional Standards Framework (UK PSF) and participants who successfully complete the PgCHPE course automatically become Fellows of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) and also receive the Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA) PDF award for Learning, Teaching and Assessment. Participants on the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) route will also gain NMC accreditation on successful completion of the course and NMC portfolio.
During Academic Year 2017-18, the sessions will take place (09:30-12:30) on the following Wednesday mornings:
Facilitating Learning: 27 September 2017, 4 October 2017, 11 October 2017, 18 October 2017, 1 November 2017, 8 November 2017, 15 November 2017, 22 November 2017, 29 November 2017
Innovation and Contemporary Practice: 17 January 2018, 24 January 2018, 31 January 2018, 7 February 2018, 14 February 2018, 28 February 2018, 7 March 2018, 14 March 2018, 21 March 2018.
Course Fees and Finance
The expected study pattern on this programme enables you to complete modules totalling 60 credits in your first year of study. If you follow this pattern of study you will pay a fee of £2,040 for your first year in 2017/18. You will be invoiced for the modules that you register for each year, so if your study pattern is different from the expected pattern, you will pay more or less each year accordingly.
If you would like to know more about the fees listed and what this means to you then please get in touch with our Enquiries Team.
Alumni Discount: If you have previously completed an undergraduate degree with us, you may be entitled to 15% off your course fee for any subsequent postgraduate taught course. For further information please contact Graduate Relations.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Higher and Professional Education (PgCHPE) is structured into two discrete modules; typical content for these modules is indicated in the Course content section. As the programme is dynamic, it will reflect continuous change in the Higher and Professional Education arena, and will change in response to the emergence of new contemporary topics, and the availability of new technology supported learning tools.
Facilitating Learning module - sample programme
- Introduction to Constructive alignment
- Learning theories and Learner Centred approaches
- Supporting Diverse Learners
- Effective Communication and Resource Share
- Learning Styles and Characteristics
- Motivation and Problem-based Learning
- Teaching Models and Styles of delivery
- Personal tutoring
- Feedback and Assessment
- Reflection and Evaluation
- Assignment Workshop
Innovation and Contemporary Practice - sample programme
- The Changing context of HE: Technology, innovation and change
- Assistive technologies - JISC workshop
- Student experience: student voice; Twitter and Qualtrics
- Mobile technologies; bring your own device
- Student interactions with learning spaces: psycho-geography and virtual worlds
- Flipped classrooms
- Assignment workshop
- Employer Panel
- The 3 Es: employability, enterprise and entrepreneurialism; Partnership working and the curriculum
- Disruptive innovations: MOOCs
- External forces - strategic priorities
- Impact for staff - implications for practice
The PgCHPE consists of 2x30 credit modules,