- Engineering Council accredited degree
- The theme of the award is power electronics in the Electrical supply industry embracing technological areas such as renewable energy systems, Flexible AC Transmission Systems and custom power and High Voltage Direct Current transmission.
- Power electronics is the technology that drives the design and control of the modern generation, transmission and distribution systems.
- A unique feature of the award is the participation of world leading industry in the delivery and field trips.
- An optional industry placement which can be taken in another European country is also offered.
- Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology IET (partial CEng)
About this course
The modern power system is evolving with increasing use of power electronics, integration of renewable sources such as wind and solar development of embedded generation and microgrids. The MSc Electrical Engineering award is designed to produce engineers who are capable of engineering such a system. .
Core modules are:
- Research Methods & Project Management
- Power Electronics in Electrical Utility Systems
- Advanced Power Systems Analysis
- Power System Protection
- Flexible AC Transmission Systems and Custom Power
- MSc Project
Option Modules are:?
- Energy Management
- Control Systems
- Photovoltaic Technology
The theme of the award is Power Electronics in Electrical supply industry. The module content and the award structure are designed so that this theme permeates through the award. The key modules, which have industrial input are "Power Electronics in Electric Utility Systems" , "Flexible AC Transmission systems" and "Power System Protection" . The option modules such as Energy Management and Control systems provide the students with the additional knowledge and skills for the formation of a true power electronics engineer. You will study 4 modules in the first semester.
In the second semester you will study 4 further modules. Upon successful completion of the project you will be awarded the MSc. Your study length can be variable depending on how much time you spend in industry which could include vacation work