The School has a strong international reputation for innovative research, across a wide range of specialist research strengths. In each of these, important and pioneering work has been published by members of staff and major projects of research are ongoing. In addition, the School is committed to the supervision of high-quality research students in all areas of politics, philosophy and international politics and to enhancing its vibrant postgraduate research culture.
The research interests of the School and the expertise of its staff include:
- Contemporary Irish Political History
- Governance and Public Policy, with a particular emphasis on European Union politics, public opinion, gender studies, governance.
- Security, Terrorism and International Relations
- Philosophy, with a particular emphasis on metaphysics, philosophy of mind, logic, epistemology, moral and political philosophy
- Political Theory, particularly green political thought, post-structuralism, democratic political theory and the politics of recognition.
"The training and supervision I received completely transformed how I understand and engage with the world. The School gave me the intellectual, professional and financial support I needed and, with their help, I secured an AHRC postdoctoral fellowship to go to Japan. Queen's is a one-of-a-kind place!"Dr Shine Choi,
Assistant Professor at the Croft Institute for International Studies, University of Mississippi, USA
PhD and MPhil graduates from our School have taken up careers in a variety of spheres. Many have gained lecturing or postdoctoral research positions at Universities and Research Institutes in the UK, Ireland, Europe and America. We also have graduates now working in local and regional government, the Electoral Commission, the media, and for international humanitarian NGOs and charities.
Queen's postgraduates reap exceptional benefits. Unique initiatives, such as Degree Plus and Researcher Plus bolster our commitment to employability, while innovative leadership and executive programmes alongside sterling integration with business experts helps our students gain key leadership positions both nationally and internationally.
Find out more