This programme offers teachers and educational professionals opportunities to learn across a range of areas within the broad field of education.
Education professionals in the twenty-first century are expected to have strong knowledge and skills in core areas as well as an ability to move flexibly in and out of a variety of specialist areas. This Educational Studies programme is designed to meet these diverse needs by offering a number of core modules as well as the opportunity to select optional modules from a wide range of topics including: educational leadership, inclusion and special educational needs.
The programme offers students an opportunity to familiarise themselves with current research on learning and teaching, assessment and curriculum design. In addition, students are encouraged to consider and reflect on the practical implications of theoretical perspectives and research findings.
The MEd in Educational Studies is open to teachers in primary-, secondary- and tertiary-level institutions as well as to professionals in other fields of education.
On completion of the modules students will be able to:
demonstrate a broad-based knowledge and understanding of educational research, policy, practice and theory covered by the modules of their choice
analyse and critically apply examples of the research literature in the chosen modules (and, where appropriate, skills)
reflect critically on their own personal practice
Educational Studies highlights
Our educational research has been ranked 4th within the UK in relation to research intensity with 87% assessed as 'internationally excellent or world leading' (REf, 2014).
Internationally Renowned Experts
- The core discipline of Education at Queen's is one of the leading areas for educational research in the UK and Ireland.
- The diversity of topics is particularly appreciated by students who want to learn across a range of topics, rather than focusing on one specialist subject.
- Credit transferStudents who have completed other master's-level awards, eg PGCE, within the last 10 years are eligible to credit transfer. The credit transfer application must be submitted at the same time as the online programme application as retrospective applications are not accepted.
- FlexibilityThis programme is delivered via blended learning (a mixture of face-to-face and online learning).
- Flexible exit qualifications (PgCert, PgDip) are available and individual course modules can also be taken as short courses.
'The MEd in Educational Studies offers a fantastic range of opportunities for teachers and others involved in education to engage in professional development. You will benefit from a stimulating and supportive environment that will introduce you to new ideas, the latest research and fresh approaches in the field of education.' Dr James Nelson