The programme is designed for musicians from a wide range of musical backgrounds interested in the production of musical content in both the recording studio and live performance environments.
You will gain practical knowledge and experience of recording, editing, mixing and mastering music using professional studio facilities.
Working alongside leading music industry professionals you will gain additional sound engineering experience in a sound reinforcement context and develop musical practice in composition, general musicianship and (optionally) musical performance.
Music and Audio Production Degree highlights
QS World University Ranking recently placed Queen's University Belfast in the top 50 universities worldwide for the performing arts.
- Students may opt to spend a semester studying abroad. The School has links with a number of international institutions including Escola Superior de M��sica e Artes do Espet��culo do Porto, Instituto Politecnico do Porto National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Technological Educational Institute of Crete and University of Groningen.
- The School is an Avid Learning Partner and Avid-accredited courses in Pro Tools for music and audio production are embedded into the curriculum.
- The School benefits from strong industry partnerships including BBC NI, Ulster Orchestra, Opera NI, Hard Rain SoloistEnsemble, Cathedral Arts Festival, Moving on Music, Diatribe Records, DTS and Dolby.
World Class Facilities
- The School is one of the largest and best equipped institutions in the UK working in the field of music and sound. Students on the BA in Music and Audio Production have access to state-of-the-art audio resources including two dedicated computer suites,ten sound studios and the world's first Sonic Laboratory - a unique performance space capable of three-dimensional soundprojection.
Internationally Renowned Experts
- Many of our staff are leading international experts in their fields of research. Additionally, the School employs a number Industry Fellows - internationally renowned professionals in their fields of composition, performance, song-writing, sound engineering and music production.
- Northern Ireland has an exceptional track record for producing outstanding musical talent and has a unique identity within theglobal music industry. Belfast is the creative hub of the Northern Irish music industry and students on this programme will contributeto the vibrant musical life of both the University and the wider city.
Companies and institutions currently employing our graduates include the BBC, UTV, Weller Media Agency, Start Together Studios, PSAV, The Mac, Pi Communications, The Nerve Centre, Steven's Institute of Technology and Queen's University Belfast.
Employment after the Course
The programme prepares students for a wide range of possible career paths including studio and venue audio engineering, broadcasting, audiology, acoustic consultancy, artist management, concert-venue management, audio system support, education and other areas of the music and audio industries. Companies and institutions currently employing our graduates include the BBC, UTV, Weller Media Agency, Start Together Studios, PSAV, The Mac, Pi Communications, The Nerve Centre, Steven's Institute of Technology, Trinity College Dublin, Queen's University Belfast and Ulster University.
Graduates of related programmes at Queen's have been very successful in the area of audio engineering and include:
Nicholas Gillian: Engineer and Creative Technologist, Google
Mark McKeague: Creative Technologist, New York Times
Daniel Drayne: Product Owner, Spotify
Niamh O'Meara: Technical Sales Engineer, Polytec
Nicholas Crowe: Product Manager, Opticon
Irene Kelly: Audiologist, Beacon Audiology
Conor Barry: Product Manager, Mogees
John King: Interactive Designer, Sensum
The Level 3 Work Placement module is an excellent opportunity for students to gain real-world industry experience. Some of the organisations our students have completed placements with include: The Mac, Crescent Arts Centre, Production House, Start Together Studios, Redbox Recording, Smalltown America Studios, Blast Furnace Studios, Sonic Visuals, Earthmusic, Glasgowbury Music Hub. .
Additional Awards Gained(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Prizes and Awards(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Degree plus award for extra-curricular skills
In addition to your degree programme, at Queen's you can have the opportunity to gain wider life, academic and employability skills. For example, placements, voluntary work, clubs, societies, sports and lots more. So not only do you graduate with a degree recognised from a world leading university, you'll have practical national and international experience plus a wider exposure to life overall. We call this Degree Plus. It's what makes studying at Queen's University Belfast special.