Mathematics is the universal language of science, and a beautiful subject in its own right. It is a discipline that also has important applications in industry and commerce, and well-qualified mathematicians are in great demand, with a wide choice of careers. For mathematicians with an interest and background in a European language (either French or Spanish) this degree is ideal. It is a four-year degree programme with a year spent abroad typically studying mathematics through the medium of the chosen language.
Mathematics with Extended Studies in Europe Degree highlights
Ranked second of Russell Group Universities in the UK with 96% overall student satisfaction.HEFCE National Student Survey 2015.
- As part of this degree programme you will have the opportunity to study mathematics at a French or Spanish university through the medium of the chosen language. Additionally we participate in the IAESTE and Erasmus student exchange programmes, which enable students to obtain work experience in companies and universities throughout the world.
- We have key links with local companies who hire mathematics graduates. Several local financial services companies (including Clarus FT, Effex Capital and AquaQ Analytics) were founded by our former maths graduates.
World Class Facilities
- A new Teaching Centre for Mathematics and Physics opened in September 2016. This provides a dedicated space for teaching within the School. Facilities for mathematics include new lecture and group-study rooms, a new student social area and state-of-the-art computer facilities. The Centre will be the exciting central hub for our students.
Internationally Renowned Experts
- The School of Mathematics and Physics is a large school with staff from 13 countries, including UK, US, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Bulgaria, Russia, Argentina, Cuba, Germany, China, Greece, Kenya, Niger, The Netherlands and Romania. Many of our staff are leading international experts in their fields of mathematical research. Thus the ethos of the School is one of excellence in research informing excellence in teaching.
- Many students find the transition from school to university somewhat daunting. In order to help with this transition, Mathematics students have introduced a Peer Mentoring scheme that is generally regarded as one of the most effective in the University. As well as providing a forum for first year students to obtain support, it also provides mentors with transferable skills which will increase graduate employment opportunities.
Studying for a degree in Mathematics with Extended Studies in Europe at Queen's will assist students in developing the core skills and employment-related experiences that are valued by employers, professional organisations and academic institutions. Graduates from this degree at Queen's are well regarded by many employers (local, national and international) and over half of all graduate jobs are now open to graduates of any discipline, including mathematics.
Although the many of our graduates are interested in pursuing careers in teaching, banking and finance, significant numbers develop careers in a wide range of other sectors. The following is a list of the major career sectors that have attracted our graduates in recent years:
Export Marketing (NI Programme)
Fast Stream Civil Service
Varied graduate programmes (Times Top 100 Graduate Recruiters/AGR, Association of Graduate Recruiters UK)
Employment after the Course
Typical career destinations of graduates include:
•Finance and Banking (Financial Analyst, Predictive Modelling, Quantitative Analyst)
•Management (Consultancy, Risk Analyst, Insurance)
•Engineering and Information Technology (Data Scientist, Software and Process Engineer)
•Statistics, Market and Operational Research
•Research (academia and industry)
•Government and Defence
•Export Marketing (NI Programme)
•Varied graduate programmes (Times Top 100 Graduate Recruiters/AGR, Association of Graduate Recruiters UK)
Companies working in the sectors above that often employ our graduates include: AquaQ Analytics, Civil Service Fast Stream, Citi, First Derivatives, AllState, Liberty Insurance, PwC, Santander, Clarus Financial Technologies, Kainos, Teach First.
When I left school I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. As a consequence I decided to study the subject I loved the most: maths! The maths degree at Queen's was a fantastic experience. I thoroughly enjoyed my three years there. The tutors were helpful and the other students were fun and friendly. There was a broad range of modules, making the course very flexible. I began first year taking a mixture of Pure and Applied Maths, alongside some French, and by my third year I had specialised in mostly Applied Maths.
Emma Roberts (Maths Teacher)
Additional Awards Gained(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Prizes and Awards
A. C. Dixon Prize: Awarded to the candidate who is placed first in the pure mathematics final honours examination.
Burgess Prize: Awarded to a student who has achieved distinction in the Pure Mathematics final honours examinations.
Degree plus award for extra-curricular skills
In addition to your degree programme, at Queen's you can have the opportunity to gain wider life, academic and employability skills. For example, placements, voluntary work, clubs, societies, sports and lots more. So not only do you graduate with a degree recognised from a world leading university, you'll have practical national and international experience plus a wider exposure to life overall. We call this Degree Plus. It's what makes studying at Queen's University Belfast special.