As a joint honours programme, Law with Politics offers students the chance to study for a Qualifying Law Degree whilst also engaging with research in areas such as conflict, co-operation, power and decision making, the result being a highly nuanced degree option. The close relationship with the regional political infrastructure in
Northern Ireland creates a unique environment for students to engage with and respond to political as well as legal developments on a local, regional, national and international level.
Law with Politics Degree highlights
Law at Queen's is ranked 9th in the UK in The Times and The Sunday Times University Guide 2017.
- There are opportunities to study or work abroad, supported by schemes such as Study USA. This can significantly enhance the employability of students and the global opportunities open to them.
- All of the undergraduate Law degrees offered at Queen's are recognised qualifying law degrees, which means that they are accredited by legal professional bodies in Northern Ireland, England and Wales and the Republic of Ireland.
- Those students more interested in politics orientated placements can avail of some of the opportunities within the Department of Justice, Equality Commission, Police Ombudsman's Office, BBC Northern Ireland and so on.
- Our students benefit from the Law School at Queen's having a well-established tradition of regular consultation with legal professional bodies and top international law firms.
- Past students have gained work placement with organisations such as the Council of the EU, European Commission, European Parliament, United Nations (UN), Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), Council of Europe, and Thomson Reuters.
World Class Facilities
- The new Law school at Queen's offers students access to world-class facilities such as a fully interactive moot court room, various seminar rooms and a wellbeing room.
Internationally Renowned Experts
- Law at Queen's is taught by world leading experts in the area of Law including Human Rights, Criminology and Socio-Legal Studies. Our staff have close research links with the professions, government and Civil Society. Research in Law was ranked 15th in the UK in the most recent Research Assessment (2014).
- Students can join a number of student led initiatives within the school including the Law Society, the ADR society and theStreet Law Project. Other initiatives include the Queen's Student Law Journal and the Mooting society.
Cal Girvan, LLB Law with Politics Student (2014-17)
Although a large percentage of our graduates are interested in pursuing careers in Law, significant numbers develop careers in a wide range of other sectors. The following is a list of the major career sectors (and some starting salaries) that have attracted our graduates in recent years:
• Management Consultancy: £20,000 - £30,000
• Corporate Banking: £20,000
• Purchasing Officer: £21,000
• Fast Stream Civil Service: £24,500
• Publishing, Media and Performing Arts: up to £25,000
Typical career destinations of graduates include:
• Trainee Solicitor
• Legal Professional
• Para Legal
• Legal Executive
• Legal Analyst
• Compliance Officer
• Trainee Accountant
• Financial Engineer
• Business Analyst
• Management Trainee
• Audit Associate
• Civil Service
• Local Government
Employment after the Course
Many of our former graduates have risen to the top of their fields and include many famous figures; for example:
• Lord (David) Trimble - Former First Minister of Northern Ireland, Nobel Peace Prize Winner and Member of the House of Lords
• Right Honourable Sir Brian Kerr - Justice of the Supreme Court of UK and former Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland
• John Larkin QC - Attorney General for Northern Ireland
• Mary McAleese - Former Irish President
• Lord Eames - Former Anglican Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland
• Anthony Watson, CBE, Bencher at Lincoln's Inn
• Zoe Salmon - Former Miss Northern Ireland and TV presenter
• Sonia Mac - Cool FM radio DJ
• Carolyn Stewart - U105 Presenter
• Wendy Austin - Radio and Television Broadcaster
Graduate Employers include A& L Goodbody, Allen & Overy, Baker and McKenzie, CitiGroup, Deloitte, EY, First Derivatives, PWC, Wilson Nesbitt, Herbert Smith Freehills.
Other Employer Link:s
Top international law firms, including the 'Magic Circle' law firms, ie Allen & Overy, Clifford Chance, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Linklaters, Slaughter & May, and mmany more.
'I graduated in 2014 with a 2:1 in Law with Politics and then completed a LLM in Business and Human Rights at Queens, graduating with a distinction in 2015. I also had the opportunity of participating in Study USA, where I was based in Houston, Texas from 2012-2013. I'm currently in my first year of a joint Masters in Research and PhD focusing on Business and Human Rights at the University of St Andrews in Scotland. My time at Queen's University gave me a unique insight into how law is created within differrent social contexts, and sparked my passion for human rights which I incorporate into my research today.'
Marisa McVey, LLB Law with Politics Graduate 2014
'After 3 challenging but enjoyable years at Queen's, I graduated with a degree in Law with Politics in 2015. This route allows students to study all of the core law modules, gain a qualifying law degree and take advantage of the career prospects that come with that. The politics aspect of the course gave me a much broader and more interesting education in areas that I am passionate about, such as international relations, comparative politics and political theory. For any potential students who are considering a career in law and have an interest in politics, I would definitely recommend this course.'
Duncan Taylor, LLB Law with Politics Graduate 2015
What employers say"Herbert Smith Freehills is proud to have a strong Queen's alumni network in both our Belfast and London offices - in fact, 55% of our current Belfast team are Queen's law graduates. We have found them to be ambitious and diligent members of our team...The School of Law has a reputation for excellence and innovative teaching and we are delighted to be able to connect with its students."
Lisa McLaughlin, Herbert Smith Freehills
Additional Awards Gained(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Prizes and Awards
A wide range of prizes and scholarships are awarded to top performing students. A number of these are sponsored by leading law firms and organisations.
Degree plus award for extra-curricular skills
In addition to your degree programme, at Queen's you can have the opportunity to gain wider life, academic and employability skills. For example, placements, voluntary work, clubs, societies, sports and lots more. So not only do you graduate with a degree recognised from a world leading university, you'll have practical national and international experience plus a wider exposure to life overall. We call this Degree Plus. It's what makes studying at Queen's University Belfast special.