Law looks at the relationships, interactions and transactions between individuals, government and state at a local, regional, national and international level. With a broad focus and application, the law degree encompasses private and public law alongside wider socio-legal perspectives. You will study key aspects of the law and develop a wide range of transferable skills, relevant to your future career trajectory. Our links with the professions, the wide range of additional opportunities within the school and the development of a highly nuanced skill set helps to create highly sought-after graduates.
Law Degree highlights
Law at QUB is ranked 9th in the UK in The Times and The Sunday Times University Guide 2017.
- You will have the opportunity to take part in overseas exchanges with partner universities in Europe, North America and China.
- There are opportunities to study or work abroad, supported by schemes such as Erasmus and Study USA. This can significantly enhance the employability of students and the global opportunities open to them.
- All of the undergraduate Law degrees offered at Queen's are recognised qualifying law degrees, which means that they are accredited by legal professional bodies in Northern Ireland, England and Wales and the Republic of Ireland. This means that the degree covers those subjects that are regarded as prerequisites for professional legal studies.
- Law students have the unique opportunity of working with industry leaders through commercial awareness events and other negotiation exercises that offer insight into the legal practice (and services) world but also providing an enhanced skills development experience.
- Our students benefit from the Law School at Queen's having a well-established tradition of regular consultation with legal professional bodies and top international law firms.
- Past students have gained work placement with organisations such as the Council of the EU, European Commission, European Parliament, United Nations (UN), Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), Council of Europe, and Thomson Reuters.
World Class Facilities
- The new £20m school at Queen's offers students access to world-class facilities such as a fully interactive Moot Court room, various seminar rooms and a wellbeing room.
Internationally Renowned Experts
- Law at QUB is taught by world leading experts in the area of Law including Human Rights, Criminology and Socio-Legal Studies. Our staff have close research links with the professions, government and Civil Society. Research in Law was ranked 15th in the UK in the most recent Research Assessment (2014).
- Students can join a number of student-led initiatives within the School including the Law Society, the ADR Society and the Street Law Project. Other initiatives include the Queen's Student Law Journal and the Mooting Society.
Kristian McCartney, LLB Law Student
Although a large percentage of our graduates are interested in pursuing careers in Law, significant numbers develop careers in a wide range of other sectors.
Employment after the Course
Typical career destinations of graduates include:
Graduate Employers include: A& L Goodbody, Allen & Overy, Baker and McKenzie, CitiGroup, Deloitte, EY, First Derivatives, PWC, Wilson Nesbitt, Herbert Smith Freehills.
Other Employer Links:
Top international law firms, including the
'Magic Circle' law firms, ie Allen & Overy,
Clifford Chance, Freshfields Bruckhaus
Deringer, Linklaters, Slaughter & May, and
The following is a list of the major career sectors (and some starting salaries) that have attracted our graduates in recent years:
• Management Consultancy: £20,000- £30,000
• Corporate Banking: £20,000
• Purchasing Officer: £21,000
• Fast Stream Civil Service: £24,500
• Publishing, Media and Performing Arts: Up to £25,000
• Export Marketing
• Law Enforcement and Public Prosecution
• Varied graduate programmes (Times Top 100 UK Graduate Recruiters/ AGR Association of Graduate Recruiters UK)
What employers say"Herbert Smith Freehills is proud to have a strong Queen's alumni network in both our Belfast and London offices - in fact, 55% of our current Belfast team are Queen's law graduates. We have found them to be ambitious and diligent members of our team...The School of Law has a reputation for excellence and innovative teaching and we are delighted to be able to connect with its students."
Lisa McLaughlin, Herbert Smith Freehills
Additional Awards Gained(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Prizes and Awards
A wide range of prizes and scholarships are awarded to top performing students. A number of these are sponsored by leading law firms and organisations.
Degree plus award for extra-curricular skills
In addition to your degree programme, at Queen's you can have the opportunity to gain wider life, academic and employability skills. For example, placements, voluntary work, clubs, societies, sports and lots more. So not only do you graduate with a degree recognised from a world leading university, you'll have practical national and international experience plus a wider exposure to life overall. We call this Degree Plus. It's what makes studying at Queen's University Belfast special.