Chemistry is a core science subject that touches almost every aspect of our daily lives, and will become increasingly important in our future knowledge-based society. Chemists develop life-saving drugs, polymers, pest-control agents and catalysts that can enhance our quality of life beyond measure.
Four-year MSci degrees are available for high-calibre students with the ability and aspiration to practise Chemistry at the highest levels. BSc students with excellent performance may transfer to the MSci up to the end of Stage 2.
Note: the School has also introduced a new degree in Engineering Chemistry which covers core elements of both chemistry and chemical engineering, and will prepare students for a wide range of careers. It is available in two options - the MSci or the MEng, the award dictated by the modules studied.
Chemistry with Spanish Degree highlights
- You will have the opportunity to take part in overseas ���eld trips to China and the USA.
- The BSc degrees are recognised by the Royal Society of Chemistry and the Institute of Chemistry in Ireland, and the MSci Chemistry is accredited by The Royal Society of Chemistry
- You will gain automatic exemptions from some professional Chartered examinations on completion of the course.
- Accounting students take part in tailored employability and skills workshops, and an annual Accounting Mini Fair, where representatives from accountancy firms and professional bodies provide students with information on placement and graduate opportunities.
World Class Facilities
- You will have access to Bloomberg terminals in the Trading Room, giving students the skills, experience and knowledge necessary to prepare them for a career in the financial services sector.
Internationally Renowned Experts
- Many of our staff are leading international experts in their fields of research and a significant number are qualified accountants with many years of professional experience.
- Students can join the Trading and Investment Club, a student run organisation which aims to educate its members on trading and investing through guest speakers, competitions and educational seminars.
Studying for a degree in Chemistry with Spanish at Queen's will assist you in developing the core skills and employment-related experiences that are valued by employers, professional organisations and academic institutions. Graduates from this degree at Queen's are well regarded by many employers (local, national and international) and over half of all graduate jobs are now open to graduates of any discipline, including chemistry.
Chemistry with Industry graduates have entered careers in a wide variety of fields, including the pharmaceutical and fine chemical industry, the forensic services, publishing, marketing, teaching and the financial services.
We regularly consult and develop links with a large number of employers including, for example, Warner-Chilcott (international pharmaceutical company), Almac, Invista, Seagate, and Johnson Matthey who are members of the Industrial Advisory board for the course.
Our past students have also gained work placement with organisations such as:
Norbrook (Veterinary pharmaceuticals)
Randox (Medical diagnostics)
Boehringer Ingelheim (Pharmaceuticals)
Other Employer Links
Many of the research projects within the School have industrial input, and are in collaboration with a wide variety of companies operating in the chemical sector. Given the close working relationships, between industry and the School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering new opportunities to expand placements, industrial contact and career opportunities are continually developing.
Additional Awards Gained(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Prizes and Awards(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Degree plus award for extra-curricular skills
In addition to your degree programme, at Queen's you can have the opportunity to gain wider life, academic and employability skills. For example, placements, voluntary work, clubs, societies, sports and lots more. So not only do you graduate with a degree recognised from a world leading university, you'll have practical national and international experience plus a wider exposure to life overall. We call this Degree Plus. It's what makes studying at Queen's University Belfast special.