Accounting is concerned with the provision of economic information for both internal and external organisational stakeholders. This degree is designed for students who intend to enter the accounting profession and as such contains considerable practical content, as well as essential theory in the various specialisations of Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Auditing, Taxation and Finance.
Accounting Degree highlights
Accounting and Finance at Queen's is ranked 4th in the UK in the Complete University Guide 2017
- There is the opportunity to study or work abroad, supported by schemes such as Erasmus and Study USA. Many topics include an international dimension which reflects the globalisation of the accounting profession and financial markets.
- You will gain automatic exemptions from some of the examinations of the main professional accountancy bodies on completion of the course.
- Accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) for the purpose of exemptions from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations through the accredited degree accelerated route.
- Accredited by Chartered Accountants Ireland for the purpose of exemption from some professional exams.
- Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Accountants England and Wales (ICAEW) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
- The degree is accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Chartered Institute of ManagementAccountants (CIMA), Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI), and the Institute of Chartered Accountants England and Wales (ICAEW). You will gain automatic exemptions from some professionalChartered examinations on completion of the course.
- Accounting students take part in tailored employability and skills workshops, and business games, where representatives from accountancy firms and professional bodies provide students with information on placement and graduate opportunities.
World Class Facilities
- You will have access to Bloomberg terminals in the Trading Room, giving students the skills, experience and knowledge necessary to prepare them for a career in the financial services sector.
Internationally Renowned Experts
- Many of our staff are leading international experts in their fields of research and a significant number are qualified accountants with many years of professional experience.
- The Accounting programme received an overall score of 4.6 out of 5 in the 2016 National Student Survey (NSS), ranking 4th place in the UK.
- The majority of the Accounting modules have prizes which are sponsored by employers or professional bodies. Students can join the Trading and Investment Club, a student run organisation which aims to educate its members on trading and investing through guest speakers, competitions and educational seminars.
'Although challenging at times, I have found the degree to be genuinely rewarding. The lecturers are highly competent and knowledgeable, and are able to impart their knowledge in an engaging, friendly way. The modules have covered topics that are both interesting and relevant in today's economy, and help to give a more rounded view of the issues relating to accounting in general. Accounting is a highly regarded degree, and studying it at such an esteemed university as Queen's could present excellent opportunities.'
Selina Martin (3rd Year Accounting)
The Accounting degree offers a firm base for either further academic study or taking the final examinations of the main professional accountancy bodies. It attracts students of the very highest calibre and is recognised by the accounting profession, industry and the public sector. As a result, Accounting graduates from Queen's are
much sought after throughout Britain, Ireland and further afield.
Employment after the Course
Typical career destinations of graduates include:
Graduate employers include: PwC; EY; KPMG; Deloitte; Grant Thornton; BDO; Moore Stephens; Baker Tilly Mooney Moore; Ulster Bank; Bank of Ireland
Jessica, who graduated in 2016, is now an accountant with BDO. She says 'As one of the first winners of the BDO Prize for Financial Accounting, I was able to gain first-hand experience working in the professional business advisory firm. This ultimately helped me to obtain a year-long placement with BDO Paris where I had the opportunity apply what I learned through my studies. Now an audit trainee at BDONI, I look back fondly at my time at QUB and I'm grateful for the outstanding teaching and opportunities of practical experience both at home and abroad that were offered'.
What employers say
'PwC actively engage and recruit students from Queen's Accounting course. The students demonstrate both a strong academic standard but also the skills essential for employment. The students consistently perform well in PwC and they are deemed a vital resource to deliver business needs'.
Stephanie Gowdy, Student Recruitment Manager, PwC, Northern Ireland
Additional Awards Gained
On completion of the Accounting degree, students will be able to apply for exemptions from the examinations of the main professional bodies.
Prizes and Awards
Top performing students are regularly awarded prizes and scholarships from leading financial companies; PwC, KPMG, Baker Tilly Mooney Moore, BDO, ASM and EY.
Degree plus award for extra-curricular skills
In addition to your degree programme, at Queen's you can have the opportunity to gain wider life, academic and employability skills. For example, placements, voluntary work, clubs, societies, sports and lots more. So not only do you graduate with a degree recognised from a world leading university, you'll have practical national and international experience plus a wider exposure to life overall. We call this Degree Plus. It's what makes studying at Queen's University Belfast special.