Develop your expertise within the area of performance analysis, which includes biomechanics, technique and motion analysis and notational analysis.
This Performance Analysis postgraduate degree will develop your range of practical and empirical skills that will be transferable across industry, sport and health sectors. You will conduct a research project over the entire year of study whereby you will develop and submit work of publishable quality. You'll learn a strong complement of applied and research skills, balanced with how to communicate key information to relevant sport industry partners.
Current practical, technical and research skills are embedded in the course to reflect the needs you will need to gain to enter or progress in a sport-related career. The skills attained on this Masters course can also be used as a great stepping stone to a PhD.
We offer international (non-EU) scholarships and bursaries for this course. Visit our scholarships page for more information.
Our graduates are working for Derby County Football club, England and Wales Cricket Club and Formula One
Postgraduate open events: We hold postgraduate open events throughout the year. Find out more and book a place.
Contact details: Email us
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 8351
What you'll study
There are three core modules and one optional module, which includes an extensive research project. If you are a part-time student, you will continue to study the second year from the modules listed below.
- Sport Science Research Methods (15 cp) - You will learn how to design and conduct a research project including a proposal, ethical approval, methodological design and writing for publications. You will develop your skills in the use of software packages for statistical analysis of data and be introduced to qualitative data analysis.
- Sport Science in Action (15 cp) - This module aims to enhance your employability providing the relevant knowledge and practical skills for your chosen field. The module includes a variety of teaching methods and sessions aimed at developing you as a practitioner and researcher.
- Sport Research Project (120 cp) - As the core aspect for the Masters by Research (MRes) you will undertake an extensive research project in performance analysis or biomechanics, under the supervision of our expert staff. You will design and conduct the necessary theoretical and practical research work, and present the findings in the formats of a scientific paper and poster.
Choose one module from the following:
- Performance Analysis (30 cp) - This module provides a strong theoretical underpinning in areas of performance analysis and skill acquisition, combined with industry relevant experience. Contemporary issues at the forefront of performance and skill acquisition research will be discussed and explored.
- Biomechanics of Optimal Performance (30 cp) - This module will enable you to develop a systematic understanding of the measurement and analytical tools required to undertake sport biomechanics research and support work.
Learn a new language
Alongside your study you also have the opportunity to learn a new language. The University Language Programme (ULP) is available to all students and gives you the option of learning a totally new language or improving the skills you already have.
Learning a new language can:
- enhance your communication skills
- enrich your experience when travelling abroad
- boost your career prospects.
Find out more about the ULP.
Where you'll study
Based at the Clifton Campus, Sport students are primarily based in the Eramus Darwin and CELS buildings.
We offer outstanding facilities such as the Sports Science Environmental Chamber, which is British Olympic Association Approved, and 3-dimensional imaging equipment used to digitally capture human motion for technique analysis.
- 90% of our research activity achieved world-leading, internationally-excellent or internationally-recognised status (latest Research Excellence Framework 2014)
- 95% of our postgraduates are in work or further study within just six months of finishing their degrees (latest Destination of Leavers from Higher Education survey 2014-15)
- 83% of NTU postgraduate taught students said that overall they were satisfied with the quality of their course (Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey 2016)
- Leading university in the UK for the number of postgraduate students taking professional qualifications (latest Higher Education Statistics 2014/15)
View the full course specification
Please note that course specifications may be subject to change
How you're taught
You will experience a mixture of seminars, lectures, laboratories and you will also have several opportunities to present in front of peers and academic staff.
- oral presentations
- poster presentations
- presenting your findings in the format of a journal article
- technical analysis report.
Careers and employability
Graduates of this course have pursued full-time employment in the performance analysis field, as well as in sports marketing and management, sports injury and rehabilitation and sport psychology research.
Employers have included:
- Manchester United FC
- Nottingham Forest FC
- Derby County FC
- Stoke City FC
This Performance Analysis Masters can provide a platform for students who are considering a PhD, and want to gain further experience and relevant qualifications before committing to a research degree. The research project also supports those looking to develop their expertise in applied performance analysis, and working in this field.
This course does not currently offer placements.