Our innovative and unique MSc Entrepreneurship degree is aimed at ambitious future entrepreneurs from any academic discipline providing them the opportunity to create your own-start up. This course combines rigorous academic theory with the practical skills, hands-on experience and valuable networks you need to make your business a success.
The aim of the course is to foster innovation and value creation, giving you the knowledge, skills and capabilities to create and lead successful start-ups. You will develop a strong foundation in building and managing the key functions of a new venture. We will expose you to the networks and investment opportunities you will need to get your ideas off the ground, and there is even the chance to access seed funding directly from the Business School.
You will learn how to control risk and uncertainty, implement solutions and maximise opportunities. In your final semester, you'll undertake the Entrepreneurship Experience Project, which enables you to being setting up a new business venture and attracting finance.
All Entrepreneurship students at Nottingham Business School will have access to The Hive, a purpose built centre dedicated to helping turn business ideas into reality.
Why choose this degree?
- The course provides future entrepreneurs with a foundation in the management of key functional areas of a new venture and the networks and seeds to actually start your own enterprise.
- The range of management subject areas enables you to develop knowledge that is more advanced as the course progresses and apply when build your own enterprise.
- Through an 'Innovation and Enterprise Hub' you will have the opportunity to set up and establish your own enterprise and be mentored by experts in the field, or perhaps develop ideas for a family business with which you are involved already.
- During the course your professional and business networks will be enriched by an international experience, following a 'young' entrepreneurial firm, experiencing directly the entrepreneurial journey.
- The course provides you a unique seed fund and access to the entrepreneurial community, presenting you with connections to experts, entrepreneurs, business angels and capitalists.
- You will complete a comprehensive development programme, which includes a short residential team-building course, normally held in the Peak District.
- NTU's teaching and learning is gold-rated by the government's Teaching Excellence Framework - that means you can count on outstanding teaching and learning, an education that's truly focused on the workplace, and fantastic support in and outside of the classroom.
How you're taught
Study and support
Teaching and learning methods are centred around interactive workshops which are highly participative in nature and will employ case studies, discussions, business simulations and group activities.
Interactivity is key to our teaching and we are committed to providing degree courses that adopt teaching methods that are appropriate to the student cohort and the specific modules.
We ensure that support and guidance is in place, especially during the early stages of the degree and assessment periods, to help you become comfortable with operating in a student-centred learning environment.
A range of assessment methods are used across the course, the choice of which reflects the needs and demands of the different types of module. Some modules will assess the ability to work collaboratively in a team and others will assess individual capability. Types of assessment will range from examinations to group presentations including essays, reports, financial analyses, literature reviews and research-based projects.
The interactive nature of the taught sessions offers opportunities to gain feedback on your performance before being formally assessed and increasing use is made of eLearning to further support the feedback process.
All our masters degrees begin with a comprehensive development programme that will help you prepare for your studies and develop key academic and transferable skills. A key feature is a short residential team-building course, normally in the Peak District.
Browse through a selection of photos from our residential weekends.
You will also have opportunities to meet members of the teaching team and other postgraduate students, receive detailed programme information, and gain valuable support and guidance from the library, careers service, international office and Student Support Services.
In-sessional English language support
In-sessional English language support classes are available to all international (non-EU) students studying on degree courses at NTU. There is no extra charge for these classes.
Learn a new language
Alongside your study you also have the opportunity to learn a new language. The University Language Programme (ULP) is available to all students and gives you the option of learning a totally new language or improving the skills you already have.
Learning a new language can:
- enhance your communication skills
- enrich your experience when travelling abroad
- boost your career prospects.
Find out more about the University Language Programme.
Careers and employability
The aim of this course is to equip you with the skills and understanding you need to set up and lead your own start-up enterprise. You can use these strengths to bring innovative, well planned ideas to whatever industry interests you.
As an integral part of the course, careers advisers will run a series of workshops where students can identify methods and strategies to enable them to effectively pursue their career goals. The workshops will focus on both home and international students and concentrate on developing skills and occupational awareness.
Helping you find your feet after university
Following graduation, we will continue to support you by providing a number of services that will help kick-start your career.
Our Employability Team are here to inspire and enhance every stage of your career planning, and as a graduate of NTU, you will be able to access their services for three years after your course has finished.
Services they provide include:
- finding placements, internships and part-time work
- helping you to pursue self-employment
- advice on taking gap years and time out
- help on getting into volunteering
- information on further study.
We are continually investing in our facilities, and transforming our learning and teaching environment to create an inspiring and innovative atmosphere.
The School is based in the impressive Newton Building on NTU's City site. In 2009 the building was involved in a £90 million regeneration project on the site. Whilst maintaining its historic beauty, the Grade II listed building was transformed into an ultra-modern complex.
- You can take advantage of the Link Lounge, a space dedicated to Business School students, located on level zero of the Newton building.
- Explore your career prospects with the help of the University's Employability Team.
- You will benefit from spacious teaching rooms and lecture theatres.
- We provide students with a variety of social spaces.
- Your studies will benefit from the £13 million Boots Library.
- You can take advantage of our 24-hour IT facilities.
- Our Student Services Centre will also be on-hand should you need support.
The location of the City site also means that you have easy access to:
- sports facilities
- student accommodation
- music venue
- Boots Library, City Campus
- Byron, City Campus Student's Union
- City IT facilities
- City Campus sports facilities