Image appreciation is becoming a more significant feature of healthcare practice across a wide range of roles. This Postgraduate Diploma course is open to radiographers and a wide range of other healthcare professionals. It offers the opportunity to develop knowledge and expertise to enable qualified healthcare professionals to carry out clinical image appreciation, acting as autonomous professionals, and use the results in the overall management of the patient. The skills obtained are transferable to all NHS Trusts and are recognised overseas.
The two year, part-time course aims to equip you to meet the ever-changing needs of this fast-developing sector, and much of the course content is delivered by experienced radiologists and clinical specialists. You will also have ample opportunity to work in clinical settings with plenty of hands-on experience.
Throughout your studies, you will be immersed in all aspects of radiography practice (both practical and theoretical) that will help you gain invaluable skills that you will use in the further advancement of your profession.
If you successfully complete sufficient modules for the Postgraduate Diploma in Image Appreciation (Pg Dip), you have the opportunity to proceed to the dissertation stage. If successful you will be eligible for the award of an MSc degree in Radiography.
The course is structured in a modular format, with modules run in short blocks of two to three days. Each module is credit rated at M-level according to the Credit and Qualifications Framework for Wales. Students may leave with any number of credits according to how many modules they successfully complete. The course can be studied on a part-time basis, with students completing 60 credits in one year for the Postgraduate Certificate (Pg Cert) or 120 credits over two years for the Postgraduate Diploma (Pg Dip). Alternatively, you can register to study one or two modules per year on a sessional basis.
- The course is approved by the Society and College of Radiographers.
- The opportunity for you to learn in a School that is well respected within the radiography profession.
- The involvement of research-active and clinical staff in course design and delivery.
- The emphasis on independent learning in a research-led environment.
- The emphasis on acquisition of high quality clinical reasoning skills and the development of innovative ideas.
- Flexibility of delivery, permitting you to pursue professional careers in radiography whilst studying part-time, or to take a career break and complete on a full time basis.
- The opportunity for you to work with experts in imaging, radiotherapy and oncology and other health related disciplines.
- Additional free-standing non-profession-specific modules are available to complement the profession-specific modules.
- You will have access to an imaging suite with computed radiography system and PACS.
- Some teaching is given through the interpretation of medical test results.
- A variety of assessment methods to include; presentations, practical, written assessments, coursework, reports, exams and reflective assignments.
- You will have the opportunity to develop a robust support network.