The aim of the programme is to develop a critical awareness of the state-of-the-art in data science and demonstrate the practical skills necessary to create value in its application to business, scientific and/or social domains.
Data is being collected at an unprecedented speed and scale. 'Big data' is of little use without 'big insight'. The skills required to develop such insight are in short supply, however, and the shortage of skilled workers in the data analytics market is cited as a key barrier. This programme addresses that shortage, combining a strong academic programme with hands-on experience of leading commercial technology (and the chance to gain industry certification).
The programme is run in conjunction with SAS, a market leader in business analytics software and services, and the largest independent vendor in the business intelligence market.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Comprehend the key concepts and nuances of the disciplines that need to be synthesised for effective data science.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the challenges and issues arising from taking heterogeneous data at volume and scale, understanding what it represents and turning that understanding into insight for business, scientific or social innovation (ie, data science).
- Develop a practical understanding of the skills, tools and techniques necessary for the effective application of data science.
- Apply a practical understanding of data science to problems in social, business and/or scientific domains.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of applied data science in relation to the challenges/issues addressed.