Master the theory and practice of international commercial law. Further your knowledge of the principles of international contracts relating to commercial activities, and develop advanced analytic and research skills for work in international legal practice or other high-level international careers.
- Master advanced international law in the English language, alongside legal practitioners from diverse jurisdictions and backgrounds
- Benefit from small classes: receive close support and form lifelong friendships
- Study at the centre of Cambridge's legal quarter, halfway between the crown count and county court
- Join a Law School with satisfied students: our law undergraduates were the UK's most satisfied in 2015 and 2016*
- Volunteer for our Law Clinic: put legal theory into practice by helping members of the public
- Get first-hand advice and guidance from a professional on our mentoring scheme
- Receive access to the University of Cambridge's Squire Law Library
* The Complete University Guide 2015 and The Times and Sunday Times University League Table 2016
Develop your legal skills to an advanced level
On our LLM International Commercial Law, you will develop the necessary skills to critically appraise how laws relating to international commercial practice are created and enforced. Your legal reasoning, critical analysis, research skills and independent judgement will all be exercised as you learn to apply legal discourse to the regulation of commercial undertakings.
Learn the fundamental themes, and specialise
Our core modules will introduce you to the fundamental themes in the higher study of international commercial law, such as commercial contracts, transnational commercial law and international commercial arbitration. On our optional modules, you can choose to study either corporate governance or comparative company law.
At the end of the course, you will use all the skills and knowledge you have learned to research and complete a Major Project in the area of international commercial law that most interests you, under expert supervision.
Benefit from small classes
All of our modules involve small group seminar work complemented by independent study, allowing you to tackle each issue one at a time and giving you a clear distinction between them. Our small classes will allow you to receive dedicated support from lecturers and form close friendships with your fellow students.
Get support from diverse experts
Throughout the course, you will receive support and advice from dedicated staff who are expert in their fields. These include Course Leader Tom Serby and Dr Sarita Patil-Woolhouse (both of whom practised as commercial lawyers in the City of London after graduating from the University of Cambridge); Dr Ana Keglević Steffek (an author of leading texts on commercial law) and Professor Rohan Kariyawasam (Harvard Fulbright scholar, and member of E15 consultancy group on the China belt road project).
Master international law in the English language
English Law provides the basis for many legal traditions and principles worldwide, particularly in America and Commonwealth countries such as India, Malaysia and Nigeria. Studying International Law in the English Language will give you a unique insight into how the grammar of law was shaped, as well as advanced skills in a language used all over the world.