Notes about fees for this course
The BSc Information and Computing Science programme equips you with a broad knowledge of computer-based systems and the technical skills needed to work in research and development or technical support. You will learn how to use your skills creatively to solve practical problems as well as learn how cutting-edge computer technology is developed and applied.
Unique selling points of the programme
• In-depth focus on both the theory and practice of computer science
• Staff have worked at world-renowned institutions and have diverse experience in teaching, research and collaboration with industry
• You will engage in research and industry-related work, and, under the supervision of staff, you may be able to present your research results at international conferences and to publish in leading journals
• Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships allow students to conduct supervised research with financial support
• Student placement opportunities for career development and practical experience to complement your theoretical studies
• Earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the BSc Information and Computing Science programme, you should be able to:
• design and develop computer-based systems
• work as a member of a development team, recognising the different roles within a team and different ways of organising teams
• analyse the effectiveness of computer-based systems and the ways in which they may be developed
• demonstrate knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles and computational modelling which underpin the study of information and computing science.
Modules: Year One
UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of interesting modules, language classes and core skills for your degree.
Modules: Year Two
• Computer systems
• Java programming
• Foundations of computer science
• Algorithmic foundations and problem-solving
• Databases and data structures
• Human-centric computing
• Operating system concepts.
Modules: Year Three
• Decision, computation and language
• Software engineering
• Artificial intelligence
• Complexity of algorithms
• Advanced OO programming
• Introduction to networking
• Software engineering group project.
Choose from one of the following:
• Computer graphics
• Database development and design.
Modules: Year Four
• Final year project.
Choose from six of the following:
• Bio-computation or machine learning
• Big Data analytics
• Mobile computing
• Formal methods
• Multi-agent systems
• Technologies for e-commerce
• Computer systems security
• Software engineering II
• Principles of computer games design.
Career prospects for students in this field are excellent as the programme prepares you for a wide variety of jobs in the information technology and computing industries. BSc Information and Computing Science graduates may also start their own companies or find employment within specialist fields such as software development or computer games design.
This programme provides a sound platform for further postgraduate study in the field of information and computer science. Many of our graduates have pursued postgraduate degrees at prestigious universities, such as Cambridge and Oxford.
TUITION FEES PER YEAR (2017/18)
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: RMB 88,000 (approximately USD 13,200 )
HONG KONG, MACAO AND TAIWAN STUDENTS: RMB 88,000 (approximately USD 13,200)
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT
All international and Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao students who accept their offer and pay the deposit by May 1 2017 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
The University offers a generous entry scholarships for the 2017/18 intake of non-local students of up to 50 percent off the first year tuition fees. This is based on academic merit and is renewable annually based on your continuing strong academic performance.
The Chinese Ministry of Education and the Jiangsu provincial government also offer generous scholarships.
Progression scholarships are awarded annually on the basis of a student’s overall average marks in the previous academic year.
HIGHER EDUCATION TOWN AMBASSADOR
Students who have studied at XJTLU for more than one year are eligible to apply for a RMB 20,000 ambassador award where successful students receive an internship placement and scholarship.
THE UNIVERSITY OF LIVERPOOL DISCOUNT
Students enrolling at XJTLU in the 2017/18 academic year, who choose to transfer to the University of Liverpool on the 2+2 study route, will be offered a discount of 10 percent off the tuition fees of the University of Liverpool.
ENTRY INTO YEAR ONE
We welcome applications from high-quality candidates in all subject areas with appropriate high school or equivalent qualifications. Students will normally be expected to have a high standing in their high school performance with a minimum “B” average in relevant subjects.
ENTRY INTO YEAR TWO
Students who have completed A-levels or International Baccalaureate (or equivalent) will be considered for entry into Year Two.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Students who are non-native English speakers must have satisfactory English language skills to study at the University. Most major English qualifications are accepted, for example:
YEAR ONE ENTRY
IELTS 5.5 or IELTS 5.0 if undertaking intensive English pathway in Year One at XJTLU
TOEFL 72 (IBT) or TOEFL 62 if undertaking intensive English pathway in Year One at XJTLU
YEAR TWO ENTRY
TOEFL 90 (IBT)